In Episode 5 of The Internet Musician Podcast, we talk through the first two stages in my 8-step process to create a music website–including how to choose a band name and how to buy a domain name for your band’s website. Towards the end of the episode, we also examine several band names to see how they rank in Google.
The goal of choosing the best band name for Google is to minimize the work you’ll have to do to get your site ranked “above the fold” in the natural search results. Ideally, you want to pick a band name that you can get to the top of google in less than 1 month with minimal effort (i.e. by writing a press release and submitting it to all the free press release sites).
Tools discussed during this episode:
- Firefox SEO Quake plugin (to evaluate competing sites)
- Market Samurai (ultimate keyword research tool)
- Google Adwords Keyword Tool (free keyword research tool)
Yahoo Site Explorer(back link checker)–TAKEN DOWN…now merged with Bing Webmaster Tools
- Majestic SEO (back link checker, monthly fee if you are doing competitive research), if you buy Market Samurai, you get g0od backlink checkingfrom Majestic SEO built-in.
- Go Daddy (to buy a domain)
- How to submit press releases to free press release sites/list of sites